Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Recipe: Santa Fe Salad

I've spent the last week updating the shop so I've been pretty busy (I modified the look and feel a bit too...you can check it out here). And the weather has been hot. I mean HOT. When it is so hot that cooking over a stove sounds like cruel and unusual punishment, I make Santa Fe Salad, adapted from the recipe in Mary Englebreit's Queen of the Kitchen Cookbook. 


Image from the aforementioned cookbook.


2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if canned
1 1/2 cups sweet cherry tomatoes, homegrown if possible, halved
  (option: use a mix of red and yellow tomatoes)
1 cup fresh, thawed frozen, or drained canned sweet corn kernels
  (option:  use frozen roasted corn kernels)
4 green onions (scallions), minced
1 jalapeno chile (for mild heat remove seeds and ribs), minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or more to taste)
2-4 small garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs. fruity olive oil
Juice from one lime
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste, or for more heat, use cayenne pepper to taste
1 avocado, cubed (optional)

In a large bowl, combine everything and toss well until mixed.  Add avocado cubes, if using, and toss lightly.

Serve with tortilla chips for dipping or over salad greens.  Serves 2-3 as a main salad course.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Colette, this sounds soooo delicious! It's wet and windy where I am right now so it feels like tea and toast weather! Big hugs, Em xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starving! this looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do try it -- if you like Southwest/Tex Mex flavors you will love this!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

If you have a question for me or would like a personal response, be sure to allow email replies in your Blogger profile or just leave your email address in your comment.

Have a great day!