Thursday, May 27, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Lacis Museum of Lace and Textiles - Part One



I spent last week in Northern California (hence the blog silence) and had the opportunity to visit the incredible Lacis Museum of Lace of Textiles located in Berkeley.  It's not your usual museum! Think of it as part-museum of antique and vintage lace and other textiles, and part massive store that carries in-house, domestic, and imported products to support all aspects of textile crafts such as lace-making (of course), sewing, embroidery, beading, weaving, crocheting, and knitting.  I cannot express how much I wish I lived nearby so I could be a regular visitor or even a volunteer, as it is truly a "haven for the textile community" as the founders, Kaethe and Jules Kliot, intended.

I'd like to show you some of my personal photos of some of the current exhibit,  Night and Day, The World of the 1920s.   You can follow the previous link to the slideshow of the exhibit on the Lacis site, but I took my own photos as I love the unique design of vintage costume and it's not easy to see some of the handmade lace and hand-sewn bead embellishments.  I took so many photos that I'll still have lots to show you next week!  Feel free to click on each of the photos to see the lace and beading in more detail. 

By the way, the mannequins are period-correct (dating from the late 1870s to the 1930s) and are made of wax, right down to their teeth.  Their hair is actually human hair!  You can read more about them here.

First, some lovely daywear.  I was stunned at how lovely the crocheted lace is on the bottom dress; it is handmade, of course.  I wonder how many hours were spent in lacemaking before the dress was made (it is handsewn as well):



The embroidery on this dress was also handmade:




Handmade tatted lace adorns the adorable pink handbag in the mannequin's hand:




The men wore fabulous suits:


Lightweight summer jackets and vests:



And they looked very dapper in the evening:




A woman's evening dress in lace and handmade silk ribbon embroidery:




My favorite evening dress in the display:



Amazing black net lace evening gown:


I hope that you enjoyed this edition of Vintage Thingies Thursday.  Don't miss next week for more vintage costume and accessories!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, they are gorgeous aren't they! I can't begin to imagine the work and hours that went into creating such divine pieces of lacey ware. I used to enjoy when I was younger going to our regional shows and remember standing watching and staring in amazement at the little old ladies making their lace, spinning the bobbins around their pins. I was fascinated!! Thanks for visiting me. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been toying with the idea of learning to make bobbin lace, but I really just can't start yet another craft right now. And it looks really hard!!!

    Thanks for stopping by Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my...you are so right, what amazing dresses. And how great to find them in one place. When I run across this types of wear around here, they are always so expensive, all I can do is just admire them. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what fantastic clothing and accessories! Thanks for sharing your visit there. Now I'm off to check out the links you provided!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, amazing clothing!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by everyone. I love your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat place! I love the ribbon embroidery. That's something I want to learn how to do but haven't quite gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing museum and lovely dresses. The silk ribbon embroidery is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! I wish I had an excuse to wear something like this somewhere!

    I found you thru flickr when I was searching for 1920s weddings. I run a group there called, well, "1920s weddings." I had my wedding gown (1988) made to look like my grandma's 1929 ensemble. Right down to the huge bouquet.

    Thanks for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! I'm sure that your dress was beautiful. I'll have to check out your group on Flickr. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

If you have a question for me or would like a personal response, be sure to allow email replies in your Blogger profile or just leave your email address in your comment.

Have a great day!