Thursday, March 25, 2010

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Souvenir Postcard Booklet of Salem, Massachusetts

For today's Vintage Thingies Thursday I'd like to share a vintage souvenir postcard booklet of Salem Massachusetts produced by Curt Teich & Company in the early 20th century:

The House of Seven Gables

Ropes Memorial and Botanical Garden

Scary Salem witch and her house


Inside, there are eighteen total pictures like those of the "Salem witch" above of major historical landmarks and architecture in Salem. The booklet folds into a postcard-sized decorated envelope made of heavy paper that can be sent through the mail. Curt Teich & Co. perfected the "photochrome" or "chrome" technique using images that were based on colored photographs and then printed on coated paper. This booklet definitely dates after 1929 and more than likely before the mid-1940s, but my research on the series number in the lower right hand corner of the outer paper folder, D-626, indicates that it was probably printed in 1930.  If I'm right, that would make this booklet exactly 80 years old! 

Curt Teich & Co. became the undisputed master of the "large letter postcard" that was so popular in the 1930s and throughout the 1950s:


These are highly collectible, by the way, and I really wish this one were mine. There is a definitive book on the subject that was just published last year, Large Letter Postcards: The Definitive Guide, 1930s-1950s, if you'd like to read more about them.

This is my only postcard booklet, and as part of my collections "purge" I've decided to give this one up. If you'd like to have the Salem booklet for your personal collection, altered art, scrapbooking, or other purpose it's in the Etsy shop.

Don't forget to visit Coloradolady's blog for more vintage things today!


19 comments:

  1. The witch in your postcard is just like a Scandinavian Easter Witch, flying on a broomstick with her cat and coffeepot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice piece of ephemera. I love post card books. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post cards are such a neat thing to collect. I love to find ones from family members or from the area is live. Great find. Happy VTT
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Post cards are such a good remembrance of a trip - - - too bad they have fallen out of modern favor in the wake of e-this and e-that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a postcard trip in history. Very nice VVT post today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful vintage postcards! I love the colors and graphics...it's like taking a little trip back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, love those vintage Salem postcards! I've only been there once, and I'd love to go back. Thanks for sharing those!!! :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Salem postcards are lovely and also a good thing to collect. What a shame people don't send postcards anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post card. I have a few of those in a box I found at a yard sale. They're interesting to look at. Alot more work and detail than today's postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite is the view of the Salem Witch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great info - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun book. We went to Salem with our foster daughter when she was a teen. She loved it.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love postcard books, the one from Salem is really neat. Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to check out your etsy shop= Looks like you have some fun things listed- Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a very cool find, I have a thing for old postcards...
    [I hearted your etsy shop too :-)]

    ReplyDelete
  16. The old photo postcards are great, I especially like the witch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these!!!

    Great blog, just became a follower
    www.barefootbysea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hopped over from Friday Follow and am so happy that I did! I adore your vintage postcards... and your shop looks interesting, too! I'll take a sidetrip! Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day soon when you get a moment. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good Morning! Happy Friday Follow on Saturday! Hoppin' when I can. I am your newest Follower!
    Have a super day and come follow my blog!

    Bridgette
    The Groschen Goblins
    www.groschengoblins.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

If you have a question for me or would like a personal response, be sure to allow email replies in your Blogger profile or just leave your email address in your comment.

Have a great day!