Friday, August 21, 2009

Never Wear White Pants to an Estate Sale

Just thought I'd share that tip! I wore white pants to an estate sale today and now they are multicolored with dirt and rust stains. Nevertheless, it was worth it! There were thousands of books at that sale. Look what I found:

Dressmaking by Singer, copyright 1958:



It's the perfect complement to a 1972 Singer sewing book I've had for years:



I love the funky (or should I say groovy?) cover. And it has nearly triple the number pages of the 1958 version, as I believe it was marketed to the beginning sewist. I picked up a circa 1972 pocket-sized book of knitting and crochet stitches, and also this Encyclopedia of Knitting and Crochet Stitches from the same era:



It's a fabulous book with many stitches I haven't seen before. The only drawback is that the photos are in black and white. I am hoping that 1958 version of the Dressmaking book is no longer under copyright protection so I can share some of the illustrations with you.

I came away from that sale feeling vindicated, because I have been accused of having too many books. I have to admit that I have over 900 books in my house. No, I'm not a packrat or compulsive hoarder. I just love books. And there was someone (rest her soul) who loved books as much as I do and took good care of them. As far as I'm concerned, you can never have too many books!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

If you have a question for me or would like a personal response, be sure to allow email replies in your Blogger profile or just leave your email address in your comment.

Have a great day!